Hawaii is a dream destination for many travelers, and what better way to explore this beautiful paradise than by taking a cruise? Hawaii cruises offer the perfect combination of relaxation, adventure, and culture, allowing you to experience all that the islands have to offer.
With its stunning natural beauty, rich history, and unique culture, Hawaii has something for everyone. Whether you want to relax on a beautiful beach, hike through a tropical rainforest, or explore a historic site, you’ll find plenty to do in Hawaii. And with its year-round warm weather, Hawaii is the perfect destination for a cruise any time of the year.
But why choose a cruise to Hawaii over other travel options? For one, a cruise allows you to visit multiple islands without having to worry about transportation or accommodations. You can simply relax and enjoy the scenery as you sail from one port of call to another. Additionally, many cruise lines offer all-inclusive packages that include meals, accommodations, and transportation, making it easy to plan your trip.
Another advantage of taking a cruise to Hawaii is the opportunity to experience the islands from a unique perspective. From the deck of your ship, you’ll be able to see the stunning landscapes and coastlines of Hawaii in a way that’s not possible from land. And with so many shore excursions to choose from, you can explore the islands and experience their unique culture and attractions.
Why Cruise to Hawaii?
Cruising to Hawaii is the perfect way to explore multiple islands in one trip. Most cruises visit several Hawaiian ports, allowing you to experience the unique culture, food, and landscapes of each island. And because you’re traveling by ship, you don’t have to worry about packing and unpacking your bags or dealing with the logistics of inter-island travel. Instead, you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the beautiful scenery from the comfort of your cruise ship.
There are many reasons why taking a cruise to Hawaii is a great choice for your next vacation. First and foremost, Hawaii is one of the most beautiful destinations in the world, and a cruise allows you to experience all the stunning natural beauty that the islands have to offer. From the dramatic cliffs of Kauai to the lush rainforests of Maui, Hawaii is a visual feast that will leave you awestruck.
Another reason to choose a Hawaii cruise is the opportunity to visit multiple islands in one trip. Hawaii is made up of eight main islands, each with its own unique culture, history, and attractions. By taking a cruise, you can visit several of these islands without having to worry about transportation or accommodations. This allows you to see and do more on your trip, making the most of your time in paradise.
Cruising to Hawaii also offers a great value for your vacation dollar. Many cruise lines offer all-inclusive packages that include meals, accommodations, and transportation to and from the port. This can make a Hawaii cruise a more affordable option than a land-based vacation, especially when you factor in the cost of flights, hotels, and rental cars.
In addition to the cost savings, a Hawaii cruise offers a level of convenience that’s hard to beat. On a cruise, you can relax and let someone else handle all the details of your vacation. From dining and entertainment to activities and excursions, everything is taken care of for you. This allows you to truly unwind and enjoy your time in Hawaii, without the stress and hassle of planning every aspect of your trip.
When Do Cruises Go to Hawaii?
Cruises to Hawaii operate year-round, but the high season is from December to April when the weather is warm and dry. However, this is also the busiest time, and prices can be higher than during the rest of the year. If you’re looking for a more affordable option, consider cruising during the shoulder season from May to June or September to November. While the weather may be slightly cooler, you’ll still be able to enjoy the beautiful scenery and experience the unique culture of Hawaii.
Hawaii is a popular destination for cruisers, and there are many options for when to go on a Hawaii cruise. Generally, the cruise season in Hawaii runs from September to May, with the peak season occurring between December and March. During this time, the weather is mild and the ocean conditions are usually calm, making it the perfect time to explore the islands.
However, there are also cruises to Hawaii available in the summer months, with some cruise lines offering year-round itineraries. These cruises can be a great option for families or those who prefer warmer weather, although they may also be more crowded and expensive due to the high demand.
When deciding on the best time to go on a Hawaii cruise, it’s important to consider factors such as weather, crowds, and pricing. While the peak season may offer the best weather and ideal conditions for cruising, it can also be the most expensive time to go. On the other hand, the off-season may offer better deals and less crowded ports of call, but the weather may not be as ideal.
Another factor to consider is the specific itinerary of the cruise. Some cruises may focus on certain islands or attractions, while others may offer a more comprehensive tour of the Hawaiian Islands. It’s important to choose an itinerary that fits your interests and allows you to see and do everything you want to during your time in Hawaii.
Ultimately, the best time to go on a Hawaii cruise depends on your individual preferences and priorities. Whether you choose to go during the peak season or the off-season, a Hawaii cruise is a great way to experience all that this beautiful destination has to offer.
Best Hawaii Itineraries
When it comes to planning a Hawaii cruise, choosing the right itinerary is key to having a memorable and enjoyable trip. With so many different options available, it can be difficult to decide which one is best for you. Here are some of the best Hawaii itineraries to consider:
One of the most popular types of Hawaii cruise itineraries is the interisland cruise. These cruises typically depart from Honolulu and visit several of the main islands in Hawaii, such as Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. Interisland cruises offer a great opportunity to see and experience the unique culture, history, and natural beauty of each island. Plus, with plenty of time at sea, you can relax and enjoy all the amenities and activities that your cruise ship has to offer.
Round-trip Hawaii Cruises from the West Coast:
For those who prefer a longer cruise, a round-trip Hawaii cruise from the West Coast may be the perfect option. These cruises typically depart from California and visit several ports of call in Hawaii before returning to the mainland. This type of itinerary allows you to see the stunning scenery of the Pacific Ocean and experience the Hawaiian Islands, all in one trip.
Another option for a Hawaii cruise itinerary is a repositioning cruise. These cruises occur when a cruise ship is moved from one location to another, such as from Alaska to Hawaii. This type of itinerary often includes unique ports of call and can offer a more affordable option for those looking to cruise to Hawaii. Repositioning cruises typically occur in the spring and fall, outside of the peak Hawaii cruise season.
Things to Do in Hawaii
Hawaii is known for its stunning natural beauty, rich culture, and diverse range of activities and attractions. Whether you’re interested in exploring the islands’ pristine beaches, hiking through lush rainforests, or experiencing the local cuisine and nightlife, there is something for everyone to enjoy in Hawaii.
Here are some of the top things to do in Hawaii:
- Visit the Beaches: Hawaii is home to some of the world’s most beautiful beaches, with soft white sand and crystal-clear waters. Some of the best beaches to visit include Waikiki Beach on Oahu, Kaanapali Beach on Maui, and Poipu Beach on Kauai.
- Explore the National Parks: Hawaii is home to several national parks, each offering unique opportunities to experience the islands’ natural beauty and learn about the local culture and history. Some of the top parks to visit include Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island, Haleakala National Park on Maui, and Waimea Canyon State Park on Kauai.
- Go Snorkeling or Scuba Diving: Hawaii’s warm waters and abundant marine life make it an ideal destination for snorkeling or scuba diving. Some of the best spots to explore include Hanauma Bay on Oahu, Molokini Crater off the coast of Maui, and Kealakekua Bay on the Big Island.
- Experience the Local Culture: Hawaii has a rich and diverse cultural heritage, influenced by the Polynesian, Japanese, Chinese, and Filipino cultures that have shaped the islands over the centuries. Some of the best ways to experience the local culture include attending a traditional luau, visiting a local museum or cultural center, or taking a guided tour of historic sites such as the Iolani Palace on Oahu.
- Go Hiking: Hawaii’s lush rainforests and rugged volcanic landscapes offer plenty of opportunities for hiking and exploring. Some of the best hikes include the Kalalau Trail on Kauai, the Koko Crater Trail on Oahu, and the Waimoku Falls Trail on Maui.
- Enjoy the Nightlife: Hawaii is known for its vibrant nightlife scene, with plenty of bars, clubs, and restaurants offering live music, dancing, and entertainment. Some of the best spots to visit include the bars and clubs in Waikiki on Oahu, the bars and restaurants in Lahaina on Maui, and the Kona Brewing Company on the Big Island.
- Go Whale Watching: Hawaii is a prime destination for whale watching, with humpback whales visiting the islands each year between December and May. Some of the best spots to see these majestic creatures include the waters off the coast of Maui and the Big Island.
- Take a Helicopter Tour: For a unique and unforgettable view of Hawaii’s stunning landscapes, consider taking a helicopter tour. From the air, you can see the islands’ towering waterfalls, lush rainforests, and rugged volcanic terrain in all their glory.
Best Hawaii Cruise Ports
Hawaii is a popular cruise destination, and there are several ports of call that offer easy access to the islands’ many attractions and activities. Here are some of the best Hawaii cruise ports to consider:
Honolulu is the largest city in Hawaii and is located on the island of Oahu. It is the most popular port of call for Hawaii cruises, and for good reason. Honolulu offers a diverse range of attractions and activities, including the famous Waikiki Beach, the historic Pearl Harbor site, and the stunning Diamond Head crater. The city also offers plenty of shopping, dining, and nightlife options for visitors to enjoy.
Lahaina is a charming town located on the west coast of Maui. It was once a busy whaling port and is now a popular tourist destination known for its historic buildings, art galleries, and restaurants. Visitors can also enjoy a variety of outdoor activities in Lahaina, including snorkeling, surfing, and whale watching.
Kailua-Kona, Big Island:
Kailua-Kona is a bustling town located on the west coast of the Big Island. It is known for its stunning beaches, excellent snorkeling and diving opportunities, and its proximity to the Kona coffee region. Visitors can also explore the town’s historic sites, including the Hulihee Palace and the Mokuaikaua Church.
Nawiliwili is a small town located on the southeastern coast of Kauai. It is the gateway to some of the island’s most popular attractions, including the stunning Waimea Canyon and the picturesque Na Pali Coast. Visitors can also enjoy hiking, kayaking, and exploring the town’s local shops and restaurants.
Hilo, Big Island:
Hilo is the largest town on the east coast of the Big Island and is known for its lush rainforests and stunning waterfalls. Visitors can explore the nearby Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, take a scenic drive along the Hamakua Coast, or simply relax and enjoy the town’s laid-back atmosphere.
Kahului is the largest town on Maui and is known for its excellent shopping, dining, and cultural attractions. Visitors can explore the Maui Arts and Cultural Center, take a scenic drive along the Hana Highway, or simply relax on one of the town’s many beautiful beaches.
Nawiliwili is a small port town located on the southeastern coast of Kauai. It is the gateway to some of the island’s most popular attractions, including the stunning Waimea Canyon and the picturesque Na Pali Coast. Visitors can also enjoy hiking, kayaking, and exploring the town’s local shops and restaurants.
Each of these ports of call offers a unique perspective on Hawaii’s rich culture and natural beauty, and there are plenty of activities and attractions to keep visitors of all ages entertained. Whether you’re interested in exploring historic sites, soaking up the sun on a pristine beach, or experiencing the local cuisine and nightlife, there is something for everyone to enjoy in Hawaii’s many cruise ports.
When to Book a Hawaii Cruise
If you’re planning a Hawaii cruise, it’s best to book early. Popular sailings can fill up quickly, especially during peak season, so it’s a good idea to book several months in advance. You may also be able to take advantage of early booking discounts or other promotions. However, if you’re looking for a last-minute deal, you may be able to find discounted fares a few weeks before the sail date.
What to Bring on a Hawaii Cruise
Packing for a Hawaii cruise can be a little bit different than packing for other types of vacations. With so many activities and excursions available, it’s important to bring the right gear to make the most of your trip. Here are some tips on what to bring on a Hawaii cruise:
- Swimwear: Hawaii is famous for its stunning beaches and crystal-clear waters, so make sure to pack plenty of swimwear. Bring a few different styles, including one-piece swimsuits, bikinis, and board shorts, so you’re prepared for any type of water activity.
- Sunscreen: The Hawaiian sun can be strong, so it’s important to bring plenty of sunscreen to protect your skin. Look for a waterproof, broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, and remember to reapply frequently throughout the day.
- Hiking Shoes: Hiking is a popular activity in Hawaii, so make sure to bring a pair of comfortable, sturdy shoes for exploring the island’s trails. Look for shoes with good traction and support to keep your feet comfortable on uneven terrain.
- Lightweight Clothing: Hawaii’s warm, tropical climate means that lightweight, breathable clothing is essential. Pack plenty of shorts, t-shirts, and sundresses, and don’t forget to bring a light sweater or jacket for cooler evenings.
- Snorkeling Gear: Snorkeling is a popular activity in Hawaii, so if you’re interested in exploring the island’s underwater world, consider bringing your own snorkeling gear. Look for a mask that fits well and a snorkel with a comfortable mouthpiece.
- Camera: Hawaii is a photographer’s paradise, with stunning landscapes and colorful marine life. Don’t forget to bring a camera to capture all of your favorite moments, whether it’s a beautiful sunset or a close encounter with a sea turtle.
- Beach Bag: A sturdy beach bag is essential for carrying all of your gear to the beach. Look for a bag with plenty of pockets to keep your sunscreen, water bottle, and other essentials organized.
- Water Bottle: Staying hydrated is important in Hawaii’s warm climate, so make sure to bring a refillable water bottle. Look for a bottle with a built-in filter to ensure that you always have access to clean, fresh water.
- Formal Attire: Most Hawaii cruises include at least one formal night, so make sure to pack a dress or suit for the occasion. Look for lightweight, breathable fabrics like cotton or linen to stay comfortable in the warm climate.
- Power Strip: With so many electronic devices to charge, a power strip can be a lifesaver on a cruise. Look for a compact, travel-sized power strip with multiple outlets to keep all of your devices charged and ready to go.
By packing the right gear, you can make the most of your Hawaii cruise and enjoy all of the island’s many activities and attractions. Whether you’re soaking up the sun on a beautiful beach or exploring the island’s lush rainforests, make sure to bring everything you need to stay comfortable and have fun.
Cruising to Hawaii is a great way to explore the islands and experience their unique culture and landscapes. Whether you’re interested in history, outdoor activities, or simply relaxing on the beach, there’s something for everyone in Hawaii. By choosing the right cruise line, itinerary, and port of call, you can have an unforgettable vacation that will leave you with memories to last a lifetime.
When deciding on a Hawaii cruise, it’s important to consider factors such as the time of year, the length of the cruise, and the ports of call. Some cruise lines offer all-inclusive packages that include airfare, hotel stays, and transportation to and from the port, making it easy to plan your trip. Additionally, many cruise lines offer shore excursions that allow you to explore the islands and experience their unique culture and attractions.
Whether you’re a first-time cruiser or a seasoned traveler, a Hawaii cruise is a great way to experience the beauty and charm of the Hawaiian Islands. With its stunning landscapes, rich history, and warm hospitality, Hawaii is truly a paradise on earth. So why wait? Start planning your Hawaii cruise today and get ready for the trip of a lifetime!
If you would like help planning your next cruise vacation to Hawaii please click the link below, I would love to help you check this bucket list destination off your list.
Contact me “Windy Dockum” for a free quote!